Friday 27 March 2015

Fanfic Friday: Tips for First Time Fanfiction Readers and Writers

As one might tell from my previous posts, I consider myself an authority on fanfiction. I've searched up and down the internet for quality fanfics and have mastered the language of fanfiction readers/writers (I'd also like to put forward my suggestion for a name: Fanspeak).

These tips are for readers and writers alike who plan to dip their toes into the abysmal cesspool of online fanfiction.

Start Small. 
Readers: I wouldn't recommend reading outside of your otp/acceptable ships at first, nor would I try anything that you are even remotely sensitive towards. There is a fuckload, and I must repeat, a fuckload of poor quality, horribly written fics that have the power to put you off the genre indefinitely, possibly even permanently. Common tags to avoid would include character death, mpreg, or extreme OOC.

Writers: I'm not gonna be a dick and say that you should always start with some degree of caution, but in my experience its always easier to begin start gentle. Maybe start off by publishing a oneshot or a drabble and get a feel for posting fanfiction or gauge reader response.

Learn the Language.
Become familiar with what I call "fanspeak", the common terms and abbreviations that fanfic writers and readers use. Of course, you probably know the basics by now, but read up on the many translation guides available on the internet (I may even assemble one someday, but for now just Google "fanfiction terms"). Knowing the common terms used may save you a lot of agony later on, which brings me to my next point...

Read the Tags.
Readers: Seriously. As a general rule, if you don't like the tags, don't read the fic. This way no one gets butthurt over bullshit, which I have seen happen numerous times during my travels over the fanfic corner of the interwebs. This also minimizes the possibility of you flaming other people's work, which, if thats something you've done, is just plain dickfaced. Authors take the time to meticulously tag their work (have you seen the tags on AO3? incredible..), so you should respect that effort and use that to filter out anything unwanted. Warnings are often included as tags, so this is incredibly useful.

Writers: Just tag well, and don't cut any corners. Cover your ass- after all, this isn't Instagram.

Know your canon.
Readers: This is just to make sure you don't mix anything up in your head, and is of far greater importance to writers.

Writers: Here I go. At the risk of sounding like a total jerk, I'll just leave my quick opinion. Its my firm belief that although AU is a fine, dandy thing, writers should be familiar with the many corners and pitfalls of their fandom. Understanding the rules of canon not only saves you from looking like a total noob, it also makes you better at breaking them. As we all know, skillfully bending/breaking the laws of canon can make an outstanding fic.

Use the Forums.
Readers: Most/all fanfiction sites have forums, and these are terrific places to find recommendations or give them. Even without posting, you can lurk in the threads devoted to your otp/pairings and find a lot of good work.

Writers: Forums are great places to plug your fanfics, and also search for recommended works similar to what you want to write. This makes for good inspiration, and may help you avoid plagiarizing someone else's existing work. Also, check for prompts, as these can be incredibly fun and helpful for when you're experiencing writers block.

Reviews.
Readers: Words can not describe how appreciative writers are of reviews, even if its just a simple "Can't wait for the next chapter!". If you enjoyed a story, leave an encouraging comment and brighten someone's day. That having been said, please do not flame the stories you dislike. Thats just plain dickish, no matter how gut-wrenching their grammatical skills were.

Writers: I don't think I need to tell you writers to read the reviews...however, I'd like to get in a few words on the subject. Don't let rude comments disappoint you. In the words of a wise fanfiction writer whose works I've enjoyed greatly, use any flames to roast marshmallows.

Don't just stick to one site.
Readers: Certain sites have more of one/other fandoms on them, for example AO3 has the most Supernatural fanfiction, and Wattpad has its infamous 1D following.

Writers: Posting across several sites will give you a bigger audience. Always link your profiles/list the sites you're on through your profile, or make a small author's note of them for your readers.

Here is my previous post on the seven best fanfiction sites on the internet, in case you're interested.



Thats about all I have to say on the topic. If there are any tips you'd like to suggest, leave them in the comments and I just might add them in.

Until next week, enjoy your fanfiction!


3 comments: