Saturday 14 March 2015

Fanfiction Friday: Rant on the Seven Best Fanfiction Sites on the Internet

This week I'll be listing my seven favorite sites to find fanfiction on. I've focused on sites with a broad range of fandoms as opposed to sites focused on one fandom.

1. Fanfiction.net

This is by far the best place to find full-length, completed fanfictions, especially those with multiple chapters. Theres a definite shortage of imagines or preferences works, but there are many novel-length fics on the site for those who enjoy longer works. The search system is organized but not very detailed, so its often a bit more difficult to find fics. Manga/Anime has a a strong base on this website, especially the Naruto fandom. I was also pleased to find that there are numerous Criminal Minds fanfictions.

2. Archive of our Own

I suspect that there are fewer users on this site compared to Fanfictin.net, but the content is more diverse as there are notably more imagines as well as a healthy amount of full-length works. The organization system/tag system is very user friendly, more so than the one over at Fanfiction.net, which does not allow for much tagging. Archive of our own has an enormous, sometimes overwhelming tagging/descripton system, which is a bit of a hassle for posters but a godsend for readers. I found that the Supernatural fandom is quite strong on this site.

3. Wattpad

I know, only third place?? I'm going to go out on a limb here and declare that while Wattpad definitely has many works, those works are concentrated into two categories: One Direction and Original Works. Those who hate that boy band's British guts will inevitably roll their eyes every time a 1D fic shows up on their homepage, which is every freaking time. Its a great place for original poetry and stories, but I found the fanfiction content limited and unsatisfying. Also, can we talk about the site design for a moment? Some people like the perky design, but I find it...a bit too juvenile for my taste.

4. Livejournal

Yes, believe it or not, Livejournal has good fanfiction. Its difficult to find the individual fics as Idon't (yet?) have an account, so I pretty much rely solely on Google for help in that area.

5. Fictionpad

A newer site with less fandoms, probably due to its relative youth on the Internet. The tag system isn't as dilapidated as Archive of our own's, and the organization of the site reminds me of Wattpad. Still worth checking out, though the quality of many of the fics is questionable.

6. Quotev

Features quizzes and the like, as well as original work. I like that the original work is more fresh than Wattpad's, as they have original imagines as well, but I digress. Quotev might be annoying if you're used to more serious, fiction-focused sites like fanfiction.net, but there are still a couple decent ficworks on that site.

7. Tumblr

Great source of imagines or ship-focused oneshots. Its a bit difficult to do multi-chapter works on this site so this site mainly has short-length works. Theres an epic amount of oneshots/imagines for an incredibly diverse range of fandoms.

___

Any sites I should have added? Anyone else still not over the death of Quizilla?

I'll be doing a post on original fiction sites next.

No comments:

Post a Comment